Varsity Teams

This page records the names of students who have sailed in the Windsurfing Varsity Match from the present day back to the first match in 1982. After the first three matches in 1982-84, the fixture did not become regular until 1990. Names of team members and college affiliations, plus the format of the match, are often missing in earlier years, but are recorded consistently from 2012. An annual deposit of teams and season’s results (the Commodore’s Report) has been made in the University archives since that year. In 2016 a Second Team (non-Blues) match was initiated, first won by Cambridge. The First (Blues) Team is listed first in each year below. We plan to fill in gaps using Blues Committee records when these become available.

Cam Cup Winners

The Cam Cup (engraved as The Cambridge Cup) is a team racing event held each year during the Lent Term, in late February or early March. Entry is by invitation only - to the best alumni and university teams in the country.

Cuppers Winners

Historic results of the annual Cuppers (inter-college) team racing competition, now sailed during May Week are tabled here. A '+' between two college names indicates that this was a combined team. The first Cuppers competition was held in 1924 (i.e. academic year 1923-24) and the Yule Oldham Cup for the event dates from then. Since 2016 the Royal Harwich YC 1948 Swordfish Tankard has been awarded to the best Silver Fleet team, and the winners of this trophy are also recorded below. All the years listed below are calendar years.

BUSA Results

Cambridge results at the BUSA (now BUCS/BUSA) Team Racing Championships are listed below. The event was first sailed in 1957 and has taken place every year since then. The Ladies event started later and has not taken place in every year. Cambridge stopped competing in the Ladies Championships for a while because they were held at the same time, and in the same place, as the main championship - so ladies sailing on the main team were unable to compete in the Ladies event. That changed in 2012 when the Ladies BUSA Team Racing was first run as part of the RYA Ladies National Team Racing Championships.

Team Captains

This page lists the elected head of Team Racing since 1912. Normally, but not always, this is the person who captained the Varsity Team (but the captain of the pre-World War I Varsity Matches remains in some doubt and there was no Junior Head of the Club until 1921/22). In the past the position has coincided with the elected Junior Head of the Club, but that changed when sections were established in 1986. From that time the overall University Team Captain has been the elected head of the Team Racing Section, with the elected Head of the Club being a separate position (see the Historic Officers page for details). The title associated with the team racing position has varied over the years: Rear Commodore, Vice Commodore, Vice President and, since 2014, Vice Commodore.

Lady Varsity Teams

This page records the names of students who have sailed in the team racing Ladies Varsity Match from the present day back to the first match in 1958. Best endeavours from participants' memories and research in the Club's archives have been used to construct teams for the years of 1958 to 2011. We plan to reconcile these with Blues Committee records when these become available. Since 2012 an annual deposit of full team details and season's results (the Commodore's Report) has been made in the archives of the Club at the University Library (reference: SOC.103). The Commodore's Report is also available online.

Mixed Varsity Teams

This page records the names of students who have sailed in the main (now mixed) team racing Varsity Match from the present day back to the first match in 1912. That first encounter was the best of three match races, but the name of the helmsman in each race, crewed by one of the other helms, is recorded here for convenience. The captain of the team for that encounter was the later-to-be famous and knighted Sir Geoffrey Taylor - Wikipedia, who invented the CQR anchor and was president of the Club 1946-60.